As kingfishers catch fire, dragonflies dráw fláme; / As tumbled over rim in roundy wells / Stones ring; like each tucked string tells, each hung bell's / Bow swung finds tongue to fling out broad its name; / Each mortal thing does one thing and the same: / Deals out that being indoors each one dwells; / Selves -- goes itself; myself it speaks and spells, / Crying Whát I do is me: for that I came.// Í say móre: the just man justices/ [Gerard Manley Hopkins]

About Me

My photo
In "Four Cultures of the West," John O'Malley, SJ, showed us how to read the open book of our own personal experience and look at what we find there. This is what I find about family and friends, academics and humanism, religion and the rule of law.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012


ECHOES OF VOICES

Echo’s boom
breaking sound’s barrier,
Lifts eyes up to
latch on jet’s tail,
Twin plumes
lingering after it
Zoomed over the
horizon of sight.

Echoes yodel across
canyons, our own
Voice tossed back
by another self
Fond of playing
games with the mind
As rainbows tease
eyes with pots of gold.

Echoes rise, fall,
reverberate then
Fade away with
repeated sighs into
Stillness where
silent soul fondles
Tranquility midst
ripples of sound.

Echoes whisper from
canyons of the mind,
Luring senses
inwards to see who spoke,
Hear tone and
timbre, so vibrant then,
Calling me out to
be with them as before.

I listen to echoes
of voices and know
I was never alone,
am not now nor
Then beyond sound
in a soundless
Chamber where
echoes cannot come or go.

My own voice I
cannot hear. When I talk
To myself, no
echoes remain to resound.
Echoes of voices
are within me, though,
Again and again.
Shsh! Shsh! Hear them.


[August 15, 2007]

No comments: